Skip to main content

Just A Word of Praise!!

 



On Sunday, after church, we went to a town about thirty minutes away.   On the way we drove through an area where they were working on the road.  It was no big deal.  We had lunch, bought some food for the week, and drove back home.    Later, as we were on our way to church for the evening service, I heard the ominous flapping sound that a tire makes when it’s flat.  Yikes!  I pulled over and while I was debating how I was going to change a tire.  A car coming in the opposite direction drove by and stopped.   As the driver appeared from the vehicle, I recognized him as a neighbor and fellow believer.  He approached the car, and asked if I had an air compressor to inflate the tire.  My answer, “Yes, but I’m not sure how good it is.  I’ve never actually managed to inflate a tire using it. I may not be using it properly.”   I produced it from the trunk of the car and handed it to him.  Within a few minutes, he had it hooked up and running.   As it turned out, I was using it properly, but I was not being patient in waiting for it to do its job.  I’m sure no one else has that problem.   We got the tire inflated and found a piece of metal stuck in the tire.  We drove back home.  I thank God for a kind neighbor who knew what to do.  Before I even had time to utter a prayer God had him passing by at just that second.  In the morning, before work I dropped it off at the tire hospital and prayed for a cheap fix.  When I called on lunch, the lady at the tire place said the tire was a goner.   That meant that I would have to buy four tires not just one because my car is all wheel drive.   I’m sure the lady on the other end of the phone could sense the meltdown that I was about to have.  I was on the verge of tears.  I know the price of tires and couldn’t see how I was going to pay for four new tires.  On top of that, I had just had to pay for a root canal and filling and cap.  I was reeling.  She said she would see what she could do and hung up.  I was in a quandary the rest of the day, praying but still anxious.  It felt like an impossible situation.   As it neared time for me to pick up the car, the lady called and said she had found a tire to match the other three.   Oh, Thank God!  I was just about dancing around my workplace!   A weight had been lifted and I could finally breathe again.   Then I heard a small voice speak to my heart.  “Oh, girl why was you anxious?   Did you not believe that I was working it out?"  I spent the whole day being anxious, when what I needed to do was trust God and his plan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Fearlessly

                                   As I was driving home today, I passed a person walking on the side of the    road.  Since it was cold, and snowy, I thought I should stop and offer the person a ride.  As I drove on by, I was irritated with myself for not stopping.  I could have and should have but I didn't. Why?  I was scared! Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I'm willing to bet there are things that make you afraid.  It may be snakes or spiders that send the ticker into  overdrive.  Or maybe it's your job and finances that keep you up at night when you should be resting.  Then again perhaps it's relationships that consume your thoughts and energy.  As followers of God, we know that we are told not to be afraid.  Yet we often are afraid despite everything we know.   As I was driving away from a missed opportunity, I began thinking about what it is that makes us afraid.  I honestly am not sure what it is that causes us to be afraid when we should be bold, but I

Tragedy: A Christian Response

I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but