Skip to main content

O You of Little Faith

 



 

                We all know the story; Jesus has just fed more than five thousand people.  He sends the disciples ahead of him across the lake while he talked to his father.   While the disciples are in a boat in the middle of the lake, a wind violent comes up and the boat is taking a beating.  The disciples are fighting the wind and waves and suddenly, there is Jesus walking to them on the water.  Jesus speaks to the terrified disciples.   Impulsive Peter gets out of the boat and starts walking on the water to Jesus.   While on the water, Peter suddenly has a reality check and remembers that people can’t walk on water.  Looking around at the wind and waves, he starts to sink.  Jesus reaches out and lifts him out of the water.  Then Jesus, says, “You of little faith,”, “why did you doubt?”

            I love this narrative, but I have often wondered at Jesus response to Peter. You of little faith,”, “why did you doubt?  This is not the only time that Jesus says this.  Jesus uses this phrase five different times in the book of Matthew.  We know that Jesus would not belittle or discourage the disciples.     So, possibly, I need to rethink what Jesus intended.   We know that Jesus is a good father who would encourage his child.  Perhaps this phrase was intended to encourage in the same way a father would encourage a child learning to walk or stand.  Maybe He was saying, “You have a little faith.”   Remember, the same God who said, “You of little faith,”“why did you doubt? Also said, “if you have faith as small as a mustard seed,”.  Mustard seeds are very small.   So, while he was saying, You of little faith,” he was also saying you have faith.

            That is encouraging!  I, like Peter, sometimes have only have a little faith.   When that happens, I can take heart, I only need a little faith.  If you feel like you have little faith, it’s ok. You only need a little faith.  God knows that sometimes our faith is small, We don’t have to have truckloads of faith, sometimes we only need a little faith and that little seed of faith if planted will grow and move mountains.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Fearlessly

                                   As I was driving home today, I passed a person walking on the side of the    road.  Since it was cold, and snowy, I thought I should stop and offer the person a ride.  As I drove on by, I was irritated with myself for not stopping.  I could have and should have but I didn't. Why?  I was scared! Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I'm willing to bet there are things that make you afraid.  It may be snakes or spiders that send the ticker into  overdrive.  Or maybe it's your job and finances that keep you up at night when you should be resting.  Then again perhaps it's relationships that consume your thoughts and energy.  As followers of God, we know that we are told not to be afraid.  Yet we often are afraid despite everything we know.   As I was driving away from a missed opportunity, I began thinking about what it is that makes us afraid.  I honestly am not sure what it is that causes us to be afraid when we should be bold, but I

Tragedy: A Christian Response

I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but

The God of Order

  Yesterday, my children and I went walking on a bike trail.    The weather was perfect.   Sunny, warm but not hot.   As we were walking, we started to talk about creation.   Creation itself always amazes me.     Can you imagine watching creation unfold at the word of the Almighty?   It would be   the most glorious and lovely thing to see.      As we were talking, I asked,  “What do you think would have happed if  God had created people first?”     They stopped  gave me a questioning look then my daughter said, “I suppose that we would have starved because there was no food.”     And we all had a laugh creating  other scenarios for what might  have happened if creation had happened in any other way.      Yet, the   fact is that creation itself demonstrates that God is a God of order.   Each day of creation built on   what had been done the day before.    It also reminds me that God wants our lives to be as orderly as possible. God planned creation before one word was spoken