Skip to main content

Be Who You Are

 











Lately, there has been a plethora of discussions and dissension about race and racism.  Sometimes, it is discouraging and depressing.  Everyone yells about rights.  I concede that there are some cases of racism.  This must be fixed when it is evident that it exists. But we often look at every label as bad.  Perhaps we can and should be proud of some labels.


Are you a mom or dad?

great! accept that label and wear it proudly.  It's what you are, a mom or dad.  

Are you red, yellow, black, brown, or white?

Awesome!  Most of the people I know will not look down on you for the color of your skin.

In fact, be proud of your skin color.  It's an important part of who you are.  

If someone refers to you by your skin color, rather than be offended, 

be proud of the color that defines you. 

Be proud of your ethnicity.

When someone refers to you by your race, they may not mean any insult.

It's simply a way of describing who you are.

no offense is meant by those terms.

Are you short or tall?

Beautiful!  I learned long ago not to be too offended by jokes about short people.  

Nor do I let my height define me, but I am short.  

None of these labels define me as a person.  

They are descriptive, nothing more, nothing less.

I will worry and be concerned when people use the words thief, liar, lazy, idiot, bully, or wicked.

Those words define a person's character.  

I can and should be concerned by those labels. 

I would not be proud or find it acceptable to have these labels attached to me.

More importantly, the latter labels are often the product of choices.

They are often one hundred percent something I have often earned

and ...

if I don't like a label, I'll decide if it's a label I can change, 

if I can't change it, I'll wear it boldly, proudly without excuses or shame...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...