Skip to main content

Watchman

 








Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me.
   Ezekiel 3:17


God told Ezekiel he was a watchman.  

Watchman is an obsolete word.   

However, in the ancient world, the watchman was the one in a position to see what was happening.  

A city would build a wall.

The watchman was the one who would stay on the wall watching to see if an enemy was coming.  

If they saw an enemy, they would blow a trumpet and warn the people.  

Their job, if you will, was to report what they saw.  

They were to warn the people that the enemy was attacking.  

Friends, we are God's watchmen.   

We are the city on a hill, the perfect vantage point to see what is taking place.   

We can see the brother caught in addiction.  

We can see the sexual indiscretions. 

We can see our friend ready to make a bad choice.  

We can observe when those in authority make choices to overthrow justice.  

We also have the mind of Christ.  

We recognize evil and sin.  

People in the world don't always notice sin.  

As Christians, it's our job to sound the alarm to those around us of what we see happening.  

When we see a neighbor participating in sinful acts... 

it's our responsibility to make them aware of their sin.   

When we notice a coworker who is in a promiscuous lifestyle... 

yes, as God's observer, we must sound the alarm.  

When we see our leaders heading in a direction away from the path of God... 

as the lookout, we must speak up.  

Sometimes that's hard...

we don't want to rock the boat...

cause hard feelings...

or feel personally attacked.

It's our job as the salt and the light.  

It's our responsibility to our neighbor, coworker, friend, and anyone else God puts in our life.  

It may be for that reason that God has had our paths cross.   

We may be the only one to tell them of the peril that awaits if they continue on the road that they are on.

We aren't responsible for the outcome.   

We just have to speak up.  

It's their choice whether they listen or not.

God doesn't hold us accountable for whether they listen or not.

We are accountable to warn them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Perfect for Me

Tomorrow my sweetie and I will be celebrating twenty- nine years of marriage.  What an amazing journey!  I have to confess that when we were first married I had some preconceived ideas of what love and marriage would be like.   I thought love was having my spouse with me all the time, holding hands doing everything together, never having a disagreement.   I thought my darling sweetheart would never let me down or hurt me and everything would be perfect for the rest of our life.   Wow!  Can you believe how incredibly naïve I was?  After twenty-nine years what I realized is that no one could live up to the ideals that I had set because we live in an imperfect world and we are imperfect people.  I know, you’re thinking, “It took you twenty-nine years to realize this?” Nah I realized it after the first year.   I still smile how over the years God has changed my definition of love.  Don’t get me wrong there is n...