Skip to main content

We Have Hope




We wait in hope for the Lord;  Psalm 33:20


Christmas is always an exciting, joyous time.  I love Christmas! Yet at the same time, I know that, at times,  it can also be stressful and sometimes depressing.  Sometimes, in the craziness, we need to regain our hope.

Hope is certainty mixed with anticipation.  The Jewish people at the time of Jesus' birth were anxiously awaiting the messiah.  They were hoping he would come, yet when the angels heralded his arrival, only the shepherds came to worship.  The rest?  They saw the star and maybe even saw the angels.  However, I suppose they were too busy to bother with a star shining brightly in the sky, the angels in all their glory, and a tiny baby in a manger.  They were busy with work and the cares of this life pressed in around them.  The could not concern themselves with an insignificant baby.  For them, that day was like any other.  They were looking for hope, but when hope arrived, they missed it.  As we prepare to celebrate this Christmas, let's praise God for the faith we have of eternal life with God.  This is the Hope that we have that is an anchor for our soul in a broken world.  The baby, though small, was not insignificant.  He was and still is the hope that we need.

Oh, Come, Oh, Come, Emmanuel, 
Oh, come, oh, come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appears.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...