Skip to main content

Take Back The Corners














When I first bought our house twenty plus years ago, 

we had a relatively large back yard. 

Now, however, the yard is much smaller. 

Why? 

Did I plant trees? 

No. 

Did I add a pool or pond? 

Nope. 

I didn’t even make a pretty Garden. 


So, what did happen? 

Well, about thirteen years ago, I took a job in a local store. 

I worked much of the time, 

and so mowing the lawn became everyone’s job. 

The problem is that when other’s mow, they don’t like to mow the corners. 

It was a small thing, and at the time, it wasn’t worth the fight, so I let it go.  

As I was looking at our yard, 

I realized that all those years 

of not mowing the corners had taken its toll.  

What I’m understanding is that it is incredibly easy to give up the edges, 

but it’s super hard to take back the corners. 

Brush and thickets took over. 

Now if I want the corners, I will have to work for it. 

Sometimes in life, we let the little parts of our mind go as well.  

The hurt we push away. 

We allow bitterness to take root, 

a bad or neglected relationship, 

even busyness can take over our life. 

Unlike my yard, my mind is one hundred percent my responsibility.  

It’s my job. 

However, that means that I need to be active 

in checking my thoughts to see what’s invading my life. 

I must be vigilant and be sure 

that there is nothing there that should not be there. I cannot 

and should not give control of my mind to anyone 

or anything else.  

I, with God's help, decide what and who resides there.

Comments

  1. You are so right! And I have noticed that the "bad" things usually sneak in at the edges. We need to maintain boundaries. Good thoughts, Sharon!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...