Skip to main content

He Speaks





In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways. Hebrews 1:1


 
I gave a silent scream. “God, are you Listening?”

I think that we have all felt that way a one time or another.

We feel as though our prayers are falling on deaf ears.

We believe, at that moment, God is not listening, and if you haven’t,

hang in there, your time is coming. 

Yet, deep in my soul, I know for sure he hears.

For, God is not deaf to the cries of his children, and he quiets our soul with his presence, 

and the Almighty speaks in the laughter of a child 

or in the pastor at church on Sunday, 

in the words of a friend,

or the train wreck at work,

and in the beauty of nature 

or even the doctor you dread to visit.

God is not limited in how or when he speaks as though he were human,

but he does speak.

He’s the nudge to do the right thing,

or the voice prompting you to visit a neighbor or friend.

His voice is the gentle assurance that it will be okay, no matter what it feels like right now. 

He speaks as the father giving sage advice.

Sometimes, he’s the mother tenderly wiping our tears and holding us close to her chest.

Other times, it’s a friend pouring out their heart over a steaming hot up of coffee. 

It may even come in the random words of a child that God speaks. 

It’s what wakes you in the middle of the night saying, “pray.”

It’s the prayers you’ve seen answered.

Sometimes it’s the boldness to act when the way is uncertain. 

So, when I’m tired or lonely, hurting or in distress,

I cry out to the God who hears, and he listens and he speaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...