Skip to main content

Empty cups, Overflowing Cups


You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Psalm 23: 5 



I love the imagery in this verse!   

I think of God pouring into us, renewing us.  

God renews our life (Ruth 4:15). 

He renews our spirit (Psalm 51:10).  

According to Isaiah (40:31), God renews our strength. 

We are told in (Romans 12:2) that he renews our minds.  

In (2 Corinthians 14:6), we are reminded that we are renewed day by day.  

I am told that I never have to pour from an empty cup.  

In fact, I don’t have to pour at all.  

My cup overflows on to those around me.  

That’s a much easier task than trying to pour into anyone.  

I can let God overflow in me onto those around me.  

The best part is that I do not have to worry about pouring into, 

I can just be who God created me to be, 

and he will overflow onto those around me.  

God pours into me renewing me and flooding my life 

till it spills out on those I meet and they, in turn, flow into others.

So even on days when I think I have nothing  and I'm empty

God can flow in and through me when I let him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...