Skip to main content

Why I Don’t Watch the News




I am often asked, “Do you watch the news?”  or “Did you see this on the news?”  at this point, in the conversation I hang my head in embarrassment and mumble something about not getting that channel.   This is a true statement.  In our house, where we are located, we can get no channels without cable or satellite.  Yes, I am aware that there are ways to get local channels without paying big bucks, but the truth is that I have very little desire to see the news even if I could watch it.  Why? 

First, it’s depressing.   News almost never highlights positive and useful things.  It glorifies the bad things that happen.  I can find out without looking at the television the bad things that go on.  Every day I see broken, hurting people without the help of the press. 

Second, all the principal news subsidiaries (there’s only about five or six) say the same thing.  Some of you are thinking, “What did you expect, it’s the same news. Duh.”  Which is true, but every one of them has the same bias?  When did that become acceptable journalism?  It’s not!!  Any news company’s job is only to report the news not spin or refuse entirely to report news with the intent of leading the listener in a certain direction.  The American people like lost sheep will follow wherever the media leads us. Let us, the people, decide what we believe about social issues.  I think most of us can handle that much. 

Third, there is so much fake news out there that, if you’re like me, you have no desire or time to filter through all the nonsense to try and figure out what the truth is and it’s to the point that it’s often impossible to discern the legitimate from the fake news.

On top of that, most of the news preys on the sensational because they want to lure the American people into watching the news.  It appears the news media in our country wants to keep the American people angry at each other.  They feed the anger and hatred because it provides more “sensational” news stories.   They want you and I to feel uneasy.  They desire to promote unrest because they know some will act out their angst and they have more news and more people watching.

I love finding good news.  News of people helping their neighbors, news of people being kind to each other and doing positive things.  If they reported that kind of story, perhaps I watch more news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...