Skip to main content

Laws or Guns?



There was another shooting at a high school in Florida a few days ago. 

Every time this happens we get deluged with some people yelling that we need stricter  gun laws

and other people saying make sure teachers and administrators have guns.

Me? I'm not convinced either side is right.

But I do know this:

There are many laws concerning guns and gun use already in place.

The shooters don't care about gun laws or the law in general.

 should we arm the teachers with guns?

It may help, but remember the shooters go into a building prepared to die

so this will not stop them only slow them down.

The problem is not more guns

or more laws.

What we need is people unafraid to live like a Christian.

People unafraid to invade your neighbor's life,

not to criticize but to help and lift them up.

People unafraid to live without things so they can be home more

instead of buying that lie that we are making a better life for our kids.

Most of us grew up with fewer tv channels,

fewer food options,

fewer clothes on the shelves,

and maybe fewer friends

but none of us were afraid when we went to school that we were going to be shot

and none of us considered shooting as a viable option for our problems.

We need to be unafraid to embrace God's values

and take God at his word.

Government can't change people's hearts

another gun won't change your heart or  mine

Let's not ask the laws or the government or guns to do what only God can do,

change hearts.

You and I can live a life changed by  God,

and start a revival that may turn the world upside down

or right side up.

This world is broken, and broken people hurt people.

When people are without God and hope they no longer care.

Let's offer hope to people.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...