Skip to main content

Jesus Wept




Growing up in church, we were encouraged to learn Bible verses.  I had a good memory, and I loved learning God's word so it wasn't a problem.  

As kids, we often joked about learning John 11:35.  It's a simple verse "Jesus wept."  That's the whole verse right there. Everyone knew that verse because it was easy to learn.







Now, 50 something years later,  This verse has more meaning than I ever thought possible as a child and teenager.

Then I learned the verse, for no other reason,  than it was simple.  

However, as I have gone through life, I have been brought to the realization 
that sometimes life is harsh

and sometimes the reality of this life makes us sad and we want to cry.

We, however, live in an era when we are chided, put down and told that crying is a sign of weakness.
Weeping is a bad, taboo; don't do it.

If you're sad, you have a problem.

But, the problem with that logic is that Jesus wept.  God, the creator of the universe, the one by whom and through whom all things have their existence, wept.

Why?  What made him sad? 

The loss of a friend,  Lazarus

and others who were hurt by the loss of their friend.

But also, the people that were living in darkness.  For, Jesus also wept over Jerusalem.

I think Jesus was also saddened by the unbelief if the people who were close to him.

The point is that Jesus was sad.

If Jesus as completely human was sad, we can be assured that crying and being sad is okay; for we know that He was without sin.

In fact, if it was ok for the Almighty God to be sad, to deny sadness is to say that you are better than God. 

So I will unashamedly say "Yes I weep sometimes, and yes sometimes the circumstances of life make me sad.   

Seeing hard hearts makes me sad
Watching a friend lose a loved one makes me weep
Seeing injustice makes me sad and sometimes cry

And it's ok  because sometimes that sadness spurs me to action; 
to revaluate priorities and see things in a new light.

So when you encounter those things that hurt you, go ahead give yourself permission to be sad; to mourn; to weep.  

It's okay.

Afterall, you're not better than the one who made you.

Just make sure you don't put down roots there because God also never intended us as Christians to live in sadness.  "weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...