Skip to main content

When Obedience Causes Problems








Mary, unlike her cousin Elizabeth, was young.

Elizabeth was old and childless.

Mary, however, is young and un, married.

Imagine her surprise when, as she is going about her daily routines,

of cooking cleaning, perhaps caring for younger children, or planting and harvesting,

`a heavenly being stops and interrupts and upsets everything with the news

that she would soon have a baby.

She would not have just any baby,

but the son of God, the Messiah.

This is great news!

For Mary obedience was not, merely, inconvenient

it was bound to cause problems.





Mary was unmarried and just like any small town,

people know your business before you do. 

People were going to know that she was having a baby outside of marriage.

I know that today it's not a big thing,

but in that society, she could have been stoned, killed.

That's a huge problem. 

If she were not killed, they were sure to treat her as an outcast.

still a problem for Mary.

Joseph, her fiancee, could have the agreement of marriage broken

for her unfaithfulness.

We know she was not unfaithful but her family friends and neighbors

would not know or understand her plight.

Yes, I imagine there might be a few who would  believe her,

most, like you or I, would have some serious doubts.

Mary, knowing the situation, responds with, "I am the Lord’s servant." 

"May it be done to me according to your word.” 

She accepted the Lords plan for her, though it was sure to cause problems.

and it looked nothing like the plans she had for her life.

Perhaps it was for this reason, that she decided to go to visit Elizabeth.

She needed to go someplace where no one knew her, and she could process

all the changes and problems that suddenly waltzed into her serene life.

Eventually, she decided that, like us, she could not run from her problems,

so she went home ready to face the public disgrace, 

and the possible loss of a stable home life,

and yes, perhaps die at the hands of her accusers.

She had no assurance that God would intervene.

Imagine, if you will, for a moment how different things would have been

if she had said, "This is too much.  I can't do this. What will people think?

How can I be expected to do this?  It's not fair!

But Mary was obedient even though it created more problems than it solved.

If Mary could be obedient and follow God's plan 

in spite of the dire circumstances she was placed in

so can we.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...