Skip to main content

When Obedience Doesn't Make Sense




If I were to choose one word to describe the birth of Jesus, it would be obedience.

The, often selfless, act of choosing to do what you are asked even when it seems crazy,

pointless, or a wrong life choice.

Obedience is woven all through the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation.

Noah did all that the Lord commanded.

Moses did everything just as the Lord commanded.

Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Ninevah.

Nowhere is this more evident than in the story of the nativity.


Elizabeth and Zacharias were unable to have what they wanted most, children.

They had probably prayed many times over many years asking God for children.

only to be met each time with a resounding "no."

Yet, as the time comes for Zacharias' division to serve in the temple, Zacharias is chosen to offer the incense.

As he was serving, perhaps he decided to ask God one more time for the desire of their heart.

God stepped in (I love it when God steps in because miracles happen!) and To everyone's surprise, Elizabeth is going to have a baby.

After years of begging and pleading and the answer is "no," now the answer is "yes."

Imagine their excitement when the baby arrives, and they hold that precious little miracle in their arms.

Everyone was there to celebrate this blessing with them.

When their friends and family ask about the name and Zacharias said, "His name is John."

Those around them were sure that they had heard wrong.

"Why do you want to name him John,"  they asked.

But Zacharias followed God's instructions and called him John.

Why did God want them to call him John?

I have no idea, and I doubt Elizabeth and Zacharias understood it either;

but they understood listening to God, so they named him John.

It didn't make sense, and I'm sure that they would have preferred to name him Zacharias, or some other family name;

even their friends wanted them to choose a family name.

I'm sure it would have been easy, in that moment to give in to peer pressure and go with an old family name. 

Afterall, it's a little thing and a baby's name seems like such a small thing.

But they were faithful and obedient to God's instructions and named the baby John.

Often it's hard to be obedient when it goes against the flow;

and everyone wants you to make another choice.

As we head into the Christmas season,  let's look for ways to be obedient to God.

Maybe helping a neighbor,

taking a meal to someone,

or buying hats and mittens for those in need,

Whatever it is that God asks you to do, be obedient.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Fearlessly

                                   As I was driving home today, I passed a person walking on the side of the    road.  Since it was cold, and snowy, I thought I should stop and offer the person a ride.  As I drove on by, I was irritated with myself for not stopping.  I could have and should have but I didn't. Why?  I was scared! Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I'm willing to bet there are things that make you afraid.  It may be snakes or spiders that send the ticker into  overdrive.  Or maybe it's your job and finances that keep you up at night when you should be resting.  Then again perhaps it's relationships that consume your thoughts and energy.  As followers of God, we know that we are told not to be afraid.  Yet we often are afraid despite everything we know.   As I was driving away from a missed opportunity, I began thinking about what it is that makes us afraid.  I honestly am not sure what it is that causes us to be afraid when we should be bold, but I

Tragedy: A Christian Response

I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but

The God of Order

  Yesterday, my children and I went walking on a bike trail.    The weather was perfect.   Sunny, warm but not hot.   As we were walking, we started to talk about creation.   Creation itself always amazes me.     Can you imagine watching creation unfold at the word of the Almighty?   It would be   the most glorious and lovely thing to see.      As we were talking, I asked,  “What do you think would have happed if  God had created people first?”     They stopped  gave me a questioning look then my daughter said, “I suppose that we would have starved because there was no food.”     And we all had a laugh creating  other scenarios for what might  have happened if creation had happened in any other way.      Yet, the   fact is that creation itself demonstrates that God is a God of order.   Each day of creation built on   what had been done the day before.    It also reminds me that God wants our lives to be as orderly as possible. God planned creation before one word was spoken