Skip to main content

Prepare by Obedience

































So, I've been asking myself how we prepare our hearts for Christmas.

We all know how the "world" gets ready for Christmas.

It's often why we get cranky.

There are parties, and baking.

Let's not forget about shopping and decorations to buy.

Finances and tempers are often short,

and the lists long.

But, how do we prepare our hearts for Christmas?

I have to say I am not sure this is a "one answer fits all" question.

Yet, as I look at Mary and Joseph, I see one quality in them that might help us

in our endeavor to prepare our hearts for Christmas.

It called obedience.  

If anyone had a good reason for questioning God, it would be them.

They took God at his word.  

An angel told Mary she would have a baby without being married

 and her response is "ok,"

Elaine's translation.  There was no argument, just obedience.

Joseph is told to take Mary as his wife and 

went and married her as the angel had said to him; that's obedience

and faith.

No, it wasn't easy because, in that society, they would have been 

outcasts at best, or killed if the people wanted.

For us, I think we also should "put on" obedience" this Christmas season.

Listen to God's voice and follow his instructions.

Perhaps, it is a good deed,

buying an extra gift for someone,

helping a neighbor,

visiting someone who has no one.

I have no idea what God might ask you to do,

But if we listen for His direction

His voice and

if we obey like Mary and Joseph, we are likely to find that

our hearts are more prepared for the coming of our Savior.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...