Skip to main content

Wounds of a friend



      A short time ago, I wanted to visit a local attraction.   I was almost sure that I knew the was there, but we decided to use Google Maps just for security.   As we got close, Google Maps told us to make a right, onto a single lane road.   I knew it was not the same road, but I felt that maybe it was a short cut, so we began out track down this country lane.    It was not long before the country lane was a dirt road a car width wide.  There were tons of ruts and steep drop off on each side that I feared damage to the vehicle or us.

When I had given up all hope of ever getting off the road, it ended abruptly leaving an area big enough to turn a small vehicle around.   I did a quick turnaround happy to be getting off the poor excuse for a road.   When I got home, I did some checking and found that what we had been driving was a trail, not a road.   Feeling adventurous, we decided to go back and hike the trail since it was only about three miles one way.
   
On the return trip, as we pulled onto the trail so that we were parking off the road, we noticed a sign, “This road does not go to the Railroad Bridge.”   I am not sure it was there the first time, but it was a good laugh.
   
We hiked about half way and then my daughter's hunger set in, so we turned around and walked back to the car.   As we prepared to leave a forest ranger stopped to make sure we were ok and to tell us that this was not a drivable road.  Really?  Ya think?  We laughed some more.
   
We had pulled onto the road; we noticed a car starting to pull down the trail that we had been driving on.   I stopped, honked my horn to get her attention and told her not to go down that road.   We talked, and I made sure she knew the right way to get there before I left her.  I didn’t want her to make the mistake I made.
   
It caused me to think of other times when I was heading down a dead-end road about to mess my life up and I needed someone to say don’t go there, or that’s a bad life choice.
   
Often, we feel awkward, embarrassed.

Sometimes we tell ourselves that it’s not our problem;

it’s not our choice.
   
Often, the truth is, we don’t want to risk the friendship or ridicule that comes with involvement.
   
It’s true that the person may not listen to our warning or take our advice,
   
but that is the risk a real friend will take.
 
“Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.”
 
I want to be a friend that will tell what others need to hear, not what they want to hear.

We all need a few friends who will say the "hard" things.

Today as we enter the Thanksgiving season, I am thankful for the friends who,

Are willing to tell me the truth even if it hurts;

 who will lovingly correct,

reprove,

and encourage me in my spiritual life.

Many times, it was your words that kept me from going down a path that would lead to destruction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...