Skip to main content

The Problem With the Political Candidates



















I  sit here this morning with my cup of coffee reading Facebook posts.   Most of them were political.  Some defending Mr.Trump for things he said on a tape a few years ago; others were defending Ms. Clinton.   I long ago gave up trying to decide who is right in the political arena.  You foolish Americans!  Can you not see that these two candidates mirror the society in which we live?  Mr. Trump is brash, speaking and acting without thinking, and vulgar, profanity is as natural as breathing.   While I hate it, I am not shocked.  I work in retail; I see this kind if thing demonstrated every day by coworkers, and customers. Being sexually lewd is as common in our society as changing your dirty socks or underwear.  We should be ashamed of a culture where this is acceptable on any level.   Ms. Clinton is no better; she has lied, to deflect disgrace from herself; she has supported the murder of innocent men, women, and children.  I abhor, what she has done, but as I look at society, her attitude is no different than that of society in general.  We support mass murder of innocent babies in the name of being pro-choice. There are shootings in our schools, malls, streets and it is defended in the name of "equal rights" Really? can we expect less from our government officials or candidates?  If a person dares to denounce this type of behavior and live differently, they are considered strange and thought of as a threat to society. The problem lies with each of us.  We, as a people need to put aside the detestable behaviors of society and turn to God.   The problem is not our leaders, it is,  in fact, a society that has turned from the one true God to lesser gods. We, who live as Christians need to do as Moses did, and come before God, standing in the gap for our country begging him, God, to relent from the punishment we deserve as a nation.   Perhaps God will spare our nation.  Even if he does not, can we condone such behavior?  As I write this, I want you to know that I do NOT hate anyone, but I do hate lewdness, vulgarity, lying, murder, and any other type of sin.  Am I guilty of sin? absolutely.  I'm not perfect, but I try to live by the standards set forth by God.  I would consider this behavior unacceptable in my life, and it is not acceptable for a society that wants to please the God of heaven.  So, I watch in frustration as people defend actions that God would clearly not accept. I challenge to live as children of the God whom you profess to love.  It may be that God will relent of the punishment he has planned.  Would God not have spared Sodom and Gomorrah it there had been 10 righteous people in that city?  Even if there are not enough righteous people for God to spare the nation, perhaps, he will spare the few that have not caved to the standards of the culture in which we live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Fearlessly

                                   As I was driving home today, I passed a person walking on the side of the    road.  Since it was cold, and snowy, I thought I should stop and offer the person a ride.  As I drove on by, I was irritated with myself for not stopping.  I could have and should have but I didn't. Why?  I was scared! Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I'm willing to bet there are things that make you afraid.  It may be snakes or spiders that send the ticker into  overdrive.  Or maybe it's your job and finances that keep you up at night when you should be resting.  Then again perhaps it's relationships that consume your thoughts and energy.  As followers of God, we know that we are told not to be afraid.  Yet we often are afraid despite everything we know.   As I was driving away from a missed opportunity, I began thinking about what it is that makes us afraid.  I honestly am not sure what it is that causes us to be afraid when we should be bold, but I

Tragedy: A Christian Response

I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but

The God of Order

  Yesterday, my children and I went walking on a bike trail.    The weather was perfect.   Sunny, warm but not hot.   As we were walking, we started to talk about creation.   Creation itself always amazes me.     Can you imagine watching creation unfold at the word of the Almighty?   It would be   the most glorious and lovely thing to see.      As we were talking, I asked,  “What do you think would have happed if  God had created people first?”     They stopped  gave me a questioning look then my daughter said, “I suppose that we would have starved because there was no food.”     And we all had a laugh creating  other scenarios for what might  have happened if creation had happened in any other way.      Yet, the   fact is that creation itself demonstrates that God is a God of order.   Each day of creation built on   what had been done the day before.    It also reminds me that God wants our lives to be as orderly as possible. God planned creation before one word was spoken