Skip to main content

Action

   
                                                        


We were out of food, or mostly out.  It’s my responsibility to make sure there is to cook in the deli.  I failed.  The weekend was busier than normal, and I was off so by Tuesday when I got back to work, our freezer was bare.  I placed an order, but I just knew that I would not be there until Friday. 

I spent most of today feeling defeated,

depressed,

like a failure.

I knew it was my fault, and there was nothing that I could do about it.   About a half hour, before I was to leave, one of my coworkers commented that sometimes the truck gets there early.  My comment; I’m praying.  

The other associate laughed and walked away. 

I prayed a simple prayer “Let them know you answer prayer.  Don’t let my prayer be in vain”

I walked back into the deli and began waiting on customers.

Fast forward ten minutes.  Another associate who had heard the conversation walked up to the deli laughing and shaking her head and said, “They just unloaded the truck.”  I was laughing and happy dancing all around the deli, at that moment.

I went to the freezer hoping that what I needed was on top.  It wasn’t.  At that moment, I wanted to admit defeat. 

I had ten minutes. 

I was tired.

I wanted to go home.

I won’t lie; I considered leaving it until tomorrow.

Then I thought, “Why did I ask God to send the truck if I was not going to get the food I needed.”  I put my big girl pants on and got to work unloading the pallet.   As I was unloading, I was thinking about how often we want easy prayers.  The kind where we pray and God answers.  Boom.  Done.   

It’s harder when the answers to our prayers require that we act.

It was not enough that I got the truck early.

It was not enough that the food was in the freezer.

If I were not going to get the food to the deli, then my prayer would have been in vain.   I had to act on the answer that God gave me.


I went home in tears of joy and thanksgiving at God’s faithfulness even when I don’t deserve it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...