Wednesday, August 17, 2016

What If...



Sunday, I was up early and ready for church.  The sun was shining; it was going to be a beautiful day.  Then, out of the blue, it happened.  I read a post on Facebook.

By now you all suppose it was something negative or obscene,
But it wasn’t.

It was a simple picture with the words “God loves it when we make time for him, but it started a myriad of thoughts:  

I thought of my grown children and how much even a simple phone call can mean to me because I know they are busy, so I appreciate their willingness to make time for me.

I thought of how much time I spend with God.  I won’t lie; it is appalling. 

~5 minutes in the morning,

A quick prayer at noon, ~30 seconds

Another quick prayer at supper, ~another 30 seconds

Scripture time at night, ~ 5 minutes

Oh and let’s not forget a prayer right before bed.~ 10 minutes (I'm being generous.)

I was ashamed and immediately resolved to do better, and I have.

The questions remained and continued to hound me because I realized that I am not the only one who may be struggling with making and spending time with God.  Yes, I’m busy, but not overly busy.  To be fair, most of the time, I could spend time with God, if I wanted. 

There was one more question that brought me to my knees.

What if...

God had as much time for me as I have for him?

It excites me that God does not treat me as I deserve, as the world does. 

The world says, “If you don’t have time for me, I don’t have time for you.”

God says, “I’ll always have time for you.”

And “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”

What I deserve, is for God to throw his hands up and walk away,

But he doesn’t.  He is patient, and kind He is the embodiment of 1 Corinthians 13. 

I am amazed and relieved that God has more than 5, 10, or 15 minutes of time for me in the day. 


I set a new goal, to have as much time with God as I would like him to have for me.