Skip to main content

Tragedy: A Christian Response




I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but it could have been deadly.   In both cases, if one wanted to assess blame, I would have been at fault.  I live with those and many more memories, having four children there were some scrapes, every day.   This week the news, a toddler at the zoo climbed into a cage with a gorilla.  http://www.nbcnews.com/ The gorilla had to be put down for the safety of the child.   Consequently, social media has been full of people condemning the parents saying that:

 the parents should be killed,

the children should be taken away,

the parents should have to be put in the cage with the gorilla

and the list of punishments goes on.

As I was reading this, my mind went to these two instances I mentioned above.  Accidents like these are tragic, so perhaps a good place to start is to remember that:

We are all human and have done things worthy of blame, 

Any time there is more than one child in the family, there is the potential for one of them to get into mischief without someone knowing.  Don’t believe me?  Have you ever woken up in the morning to cheerios, rice crispies, or some other cereal all over the kitchen?  Or found magic marker or crayon on the wall because you had a budding artist who had no idea wall were not a place for a masterpiece?

Also, the parents, most likely, are already blaming themselves.  We already know it’s our fault.  If they are like me, I still blame myself for my son’s accident.

As I look in the Bible, at the like of Jesus, I do not see him blaming.  He doesn’t say:

 “This is your “fault” or “You had this coming.”

In fact, when the teachers of the law tried to trap Jesus by asking who sinned, who was to blame, the blind man or his parents, Jesus says neither were to blame. 

NEWS FLASH!! Sometimes no one is to blame it is an ACCIDENT, a tragic accident, but one that will bring glory to God.

He often condemned the sin, but I see no blame.  Maybe because he knows our weakness and they already knew they had messed up, just like I knew that and the parents of the child know that.  Trust me; they will never forget.

My goal here is to remind people that blaming does not help. Whether it’s at work and we make a mistake, or the zoo and a child climbs in a cage with a gorilla, or at home and a child pulls a table over, it’s better to offer the same mercy that God offers us.  Let God and the legal system judge that’s their job because most of the time we do not have first-hand knowledge and we do not know their heart.  Perhaps God wants us to love on them if we know them and let HIM worry about blaming.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Speak Christ In Your Actions

Every day the situations we are put in define what we really believe.  Sometimes how I respond to the irritations that life throws at me, sometimes daily, is critical.   I work in food service.  I love it.  It puts me in a position to see a variety of different in a day. One thing I especially love is watching their reactions and responses to little things. I have seen people upset because there was .01 more than they asked for. I have seen little children holding out their hands for popcorn chicken as their parent walks by.  I have been yelled at and made to feel less than human because an order was missed.  I have also watched a nicely dressed lady show a ton of class when soda shot all over her.  She just laughed and declared, “Guess I need a shower now.”  She could have been angry and upset but instead she chose to laugh and “let it go, let it go” as the song says. Most of the time it serves a great reminder for me to watch my attitude...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...