Skip to main content

Live Life










Last night, I went out walking; It was cooler than walking during the day.  Walking at night is so much different than during the day.   As I was walking, I was reminded of the times, as a child, that I was so afraid of the dark that going into a dark room was torture.   Outside at night was worse. There were things in the dark; that might hurt me.  There were bears and big dogs, and who knows what else.  I wanted to stay in the house with all the lights on where it was safe.  If you had told me then, that I could enjoy being outside at night, I might have laughed.   I am so happy that, somewhere along the line, I outgrew the fear of being outside at night.  If I had not; there would be so much beauty that I would miss.   I realize that this is a little thing, yet the tendency, for most of us, is to withdraw from what we see as unsafe.  For some even being around other people is a struggle, for others its new situations that stress them out.  Still, others are afraid of being hurt by individuals. The fact is that most of us have areas in our life where we can feel insecure and unsafe.  But as I read the Bible I become more convinced that God wants us to live a full life.  He has come that we might have abundant life.  He wants us to live a bold life without fear, but we can’t do that if we want to stay tucked away wrapped in bubble wrap so that nothing and no one can hurt us.   I think of the first disciples; they were hiding in an upper room where they would be safe.  But God didn’t tell them to remain secluded.  No, he told them to go, make disciples, everywhere (S. Elaine translation).  Guess what?  You can’t make disciples by wrapping yourself in a cocoon.   Yes, you may get hurt once in a while; the situation may get messy.  But God is bigger than the mess.  As a Christian, you can choose to hibernate and isolate yourself from what can harm you, but you may be missing the best part of life.   Why not ask God to remove the fear and begin to live an abundant life full of every blessing that God can bestow on you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...