Skip to main content

What Love Demands




I went to visit my daughter.  She lives in Georgia, and I live in Pennsylvania.   Unless you've gone on vacation, you would not believe all the extra work that goes into making this happen.

I spent hours making lists for those staying here.
I had to find people to check on things while we were gone.
I had to make sure there was food so they wouldn't starve while I was gone.
I had to purchase tickets for the excursion.
I had to clean the house so they could mess it up while I was gone.
I had to get time off from work.

I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

So, why did I want to do all those extra things?   One word LOVE.  

I love my daughter and want to spend time with her.  
I love the ones staying here and wanted to be sure their needs were met.

So I will gladly spend three hours driving to an airport.  Ok, it was supposed to take three hours.  I can't help it if it only took me two hours.

I will gladly make sure there was food and that someone would be checking in to be sure everything was ok.

Love sometimes demands a sacrifice.  In this case money and time, but in truth, it seemed like a small price to pay because I love my family and I would do it again in a Mississippi second.

Our love for God often demands sacrifice also.  

We may have to sacrifice our time to help a neighbor,
Or give our money so that someone can have food or water.
It may require giving up a tv show so that we can spend time with God.
It may require giving up a Sunday activity so that we can meet with the family of God,
Or standing alone because our conscience won't let us participate in evil.

Those sacrifices, seem like a small thing because we love God.  We sacrifice not bulls and goats or our best cow, but love demands a sacrifice.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...