Skip to main content

Oatmeal Cookies Produce Perseverance



Climbing-Mountain

Today was a lesson in perseverance, keeping on when I want to quit.   My daughter and I decided to make oatmeal cookies.  Oatmeal raisin cookies to be exact.  My husband loves them so I thought I would make them as a treat. for him.  This would be a quick and easy treat.  We went on the "net" and found a recipe that looked promising. As we were mixing the ingredients, I told Abby to get the brown sugar.  She went to the cupboard and brought over a bag, looked and then said, "Wait, these are beans not sugar.  Back she went to correct the mistake.  A few moments later, I opened a can of milk, only to discover that the milk was sauerkraut.  I caught the mistake before I dumped the sauerkraut in the mix.  We moved on to adding the oatmeal.  I mean, you HAVE to have oatmeal in a oatmeal cookie.  I needed six cups.  I measured four cups and the oatmeal well was dry.  Yikes!! I searched and found some flavored oatmeal packets and started opening them. I managed to get the six cups I needed. By now we were both questioning the idea of baking cookies. The final straw was  as we were putting the cookies on the cookie sheet and I asked my daughter if she put in the baking soda.   Her look said it all.  If you are thinking that there was no baking soda in the cookies, you are right.   The first batch was in the oven and  they were not going to rise.  We quickly added the baking soda to the rest of the cookies.  Amid all the mistakes we kept going.  We never once considered giving up on the cookies.  I wonder how many times in our like we give up on a project, or a person, or a dream because it gets hard and it feels like nothing is going right.   My mind went to many of the people in the Bible, but Abraham, in particular.  He waited the fulfillment of the promise.  Even though he waited, he never saw the completion of the promise.  He believed God, and kept on believing even though it looked impossible.  He persevered when it was hopeless.  James says that trials produce perseverance and perseverance  makes us mature.   I know that the easiest thing to do when trouble comes is give up, but the reward goes to the ones who hang on and keep going in the midst of the storms of life.  Friends, if God has given you a dream, don't give up because things get hard.  Keep going because God is faithful.  By the way, the cookies were delicious, even the first batch that had no baking soda.  They were dense like a no bake  but they were good.  The second batch was heavenly and definitely worth the trouble we had making them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...