Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Mantle of Flexibility




The Christmas season is now squeezing in on all of us and as we go, from store to store, in search of that perfect gift for dad, or the last minute gift for "Aunt Harriet" because you had no idea she remembered you this year; it is easy to get irritated.   The cashier took a few minutes longer to get the person in front of us checked out and now we are late, or perhaps we are running late and remember that we still need a gift for the party that we forgot.  So we swing by the local stuffmart grab a gift, head to checkout only to discover that every checkout is littered with people.  Or maybe, you have to make a trip back to a store to fix a problem that the store created in the first place.  Suddenly, what should have been easy, becomes complicated like the first Christmas.  We have two choices.  We can let these minor things steal our joy of Christmas or "going with it" and refusing to let the little things crush our spirit.  If we remember to stay flexible during the Christmas season, then we are way more likely to see the magic of the season and maybe we can pass some of that happiness on to those around us. Learning to be a little flexible is a great stress reliever.   When we remember that Mary and Joseph had to be flexible, it can help us to put on our mantle of flexibility and we will not stress out about having to adjust our plans.


Christmas time was approaching, Snow is starting to fall, 
Shoppers choosing their presents, People filling the mall.
Children waiting for Santa, With excitement and glee, 
A little boy tugged my sweater, Looked up and asked me. 
Where’s the line to see Jesus? Is He here at the store? 
It’s Christmas time, it’s His birthday. Why don’t we see Him more? 
Where’s the line to see Jesus? He was born for me. 
Santa Claus brought me presents. But Christ gave His life for me. 
As I stood in amazement, At this message profound, 
I looked down to thank him, he was nowhere around. 
Little boy at the mall, Might as well have had wings, 
As the tears filled my eyes, but I heard him sing. 
Where’s the line to see Jesus? Is He here at the store? 
It’s Christmas time, it’s His birthday. Why don’t we see Him more? 
Where’s the line to see Jesus? He was born for me. 
Santa Claus brought me presents. But Christ gave His life for me. 
In the blink of an eye, at the sound of His trump, 
We’ll all stand in line at His throne. 
Every knee shall bow down, every tongue will confess, that Jesus Christ is Lord 
Where’s the line to see Jesus? Is He here at the store? 
It’s Christmas time, it’s His birthday. Why don’t we see Him more? 
Where’s the line to see Jesus? He was born for me. 
Santa Claus brought me presents. But Christ gave His life for me.