Skip to main content

A Beauty That Draws Attention

What I’m thinking about this morning is standing out.   Often, when I’m walking, I see a flower not in amongst other flowers, but all by itself.  I love this!  The flower seems to have a beauty all its own.  It is refreshing and totally unconcerned that it is by itself.   Sometimes, as Christians, we forget that sometimes our beliefs as a Christian will put us at odds with the world.   We need to be like those flowers blooming and standing boldly proudly even if there is no other flower right there.   The world is watching and desperately hoping that we are going to be different that those around us.  The world wants to know that what we have is different than what they are seeing on TV, at the bars, at work.   Sadly, many of us are so busy fitting in with, being like, the world that we are effectively saying that being a Christian makes us no different than anyone else with which they come in contact.  We should not be different in a negative way, but we can have a beauty not dependent on whether there are other flowers but a beauty because of who we are, a Christian.  We should have a beauty that spills over.  A beauty that draws attention to WHY we are different.  My prayer is that in the times that I need to stand alone as a Christian, that I will show the beauty and love of my Creator so that others will be attracted to Christ because of what they see in me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...