Skip to main content

For better, for worse











We just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary.   It seems like it was just yesterday that we were standing at an altar in a little country church before the minister and our friends and saying the centuries-old vow.

to have and to hold, from this day forward,
 for better, for worse,
 for richer, for poorer,
 in sickness and in health,
 until death do us part.

I must confess, those words have seemed to echo in my mind this year,  probably because it has been 30 years since we were married.  There has been a river of memories like water under a bridge. So many things have happened.  As I thought of the words of love that my husband and I spoke all those years ago, my first thought was,

"How could I dare to speak them?"

I guess I was young and invincible.
I think that like most young people standing on the brink of marriage, what I heard was “To have and to hold, from this day forward” and I thought oh yea.  The rest went something like this “for better or blah blah (insert the school teacher from the Peanuts comic strip), for richer blah, blah, Blah, blah in health ….”  Like Mrs. Incredible, I think I’m getting married, what can possibly go wrong.  Looking back, I am so glad I said those words because life is messy.  There has been some poorer as well as some richer.  But I promised to be there for both.  There have been days that were magical and other that have been a nightmare, but could I accept the one and not the other?  Yes, there have been days when one of was sick and other when I have felt like the epitome of health.  Those vows that I took have reminded me that I can’t walk away when times are rough.   It reminds me of another vow I made.   The promise to follow Christ.  No, I didn’t use the wedding vow, I prayed.  But it that prayer, I said God I’m not leaving you, and God had already promised never to leave me or forsake me.  I said no matter what happens or who else follows, I will follow you forever.   Yes, there have been good and bad because God has not removed us from this world, so the rain falls on the just and the unjust.  When things are bad, I hold on to Jesus because if he can hold the universe, he can hold me.  In our marriage when things are rough we shelter each other from the stormy blasts. We often want to bolt and run when storms hit and God asks us to stay because we promised.

No, were not perfect, we still live in this tent (body) we fail sometimes, we get irritable. And then we ask forgiveness, to build a bridge and get over it.  Because to love like God means to forgive as God forgives me, completely, to always be there when the storms hit.
My marriage often reminds me of what it means to be a Christian, to love unconditionally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...