Skip to main content

The Right Direction

A few years ago, my daughter went for a walk.  She got turned around on the backroads and got completely lost.  She spent the whole day lost, wandering around.   Of course, I was worried and had no transportation so I spent the day praying and crying hoping we could find her.  I should tell you she is not a young child, and she was not young when she got lost.  Finally, at about 9:00 pm we received a call that the police had found her.  I chronicled the story, and you can buy it from Amazon.com.  As we talked later, she said something profound.  The only person I met while I was wandering around those backroads only told me I was lost.  She said, “Mom I already knew I was lost.  I didn’t need him to tell me that.  What I needed was for him to point me in the right direction.  Or better yet see that I got home.”.  It made me think about how we respond as Christians to those of the “world”.  See, that man told her she was lost but what he didn’t do was point her in the right direction.  Friends, those without God do not need us to tell them they are lost. Nine times out of ten, they already know that.  What they may not know is how to get to God.   It made me question HOW I act.  Often I, as a Christian do not even try to let someone know they are lost, let alone offering the solution to the problem.  Then other questions plague me.  What if I’m the only Christian they meet, not everyone has a plethora of Christian friends?  What if no one shows them the right direction?   I want to be sure that those around me feel comfortable enough to ask questions that will let them get back on track.  I also want to be ready to point them in the right direction when they ask.  I may only get one chance.  I would hate to waste it.























Thank you for reading my blogs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...