Skip to main content

It's Ordinary

Today as I was working, I started thinking about how mundane my life was.   I get up, I go to work, I come home.  The days run together creating a sameness a blur.   We all want to live exciting lives and do amazing things.  For most of us, me included, our life seems to have more of a humdrum feel than one of exhilaration and excitement.  As I was considering this, it occurred that most people, past and present even people who do truly great things spend most of their life in the trenches of the mundane.   Perhaps the problem is that we fail to see the excitement in the ordinary things.   Or maybe, we feel that everything in our life has to be extraordinary.  Somewhere in life, we tend to forget that most of our life is filled with ordinary things.   Most of life is not exciting and flashy.  Somehow it helps to remember when I start to feel that my life is going nowhere and boring that ordinary days are not bad.  I also realize that we can make the regular, amazing.  The secret is to find enjoyment in the mundane.  We all have to eat, but we can find new foods to try.  For me, I love to walk.  I carry a camera on my walks.  It allows me to see the beauty I might otherwise miss. 
~ a sunset
~a flower
~ an animal
They all make the mundane a little more fun.
Sometimes, it’s ok to act a little crazy.
~make a crazy pose just for  a picture
~sing as you work

Life may get monotonous, but that doesn’t mean we have to settle for humdrum.   Look for ways to life your life to the fullest.  As you look back on your life, the memories will last a lifetime.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...