Skip to main content

Easter Saturday

It’s Easter Saturday the day sandwiched between “Good Friday” and “Resurrection Sunday.”   There are dinners being planned, Easter egg hunts, and all kinds of other plans being made for our celebration of Easter.  I imagine the scene the first Easter was quite different.  No one was planning meals; they were making burial plans perhaps they had even dispensed with eating.  The disciples were somber.  They had watched Jesus die a horrific death one day earlier.  They thought he was going to be a king, but now he was gone and for all they knew, they were the next ones on the list.  The mood was quiet, there was no busyness only uncertainty.  The uncertainty of what they had witnessed and what they should do now.  They had no grand expectation of Jesus rising from the dead.  What they had on Easter Saturday was the finality of death; just that and nothing else.  So as we think about Easter Saturday lets quiet out hearts and focus on what Jesus death on the cross accomplished.   Exactly what did Jesus accomplish on the cross?  He took the sins of every man woman, boy, and child on his shoulders.  He reconciled man and God on Friday.  Let's bless God for that work that was finished on Friday. Let’s praise HIM that Friday was not the end.  There is the eagerness of a glorious beginning on Easter Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...