Skip to main content

Good Intentions











Growing up, one thing my parent would often say is, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”  Way back then, I thought it was a funny saying.   Now as I cross the half-century mark, I realize that it is waaaay truer than I would like to thing or admit.  There have been times in my life, that I have felt the need to give a word of encouragement to a friend, give something to a ministry, or perhaps talk to a friend about God.  But…. I didn’t act right away to the spirits leading, I put it off.  I told myself that I could do it tomorrow.  Do you know what the problem with that philosophy is?  Yepp, tomorrow never gets here.  I had put it off indefinitely.   I watched the opportunity to do a good deed slip right through my hand like sand just because I put it off waiting for a better time.  It was stretching me a bit, and I was uncomfortable.  I am convinced that  the one word that Satan loves to whisper in the ear of every one of us is “later”.  He will tell you you can wait until later to let Christ have your life.  He will entice you to speak words of forgiveness tomorrow.  He will convince you that tomorrow you can speak out for the homeless or help the fatherless.  He will persuade, you to look for a job tomorrow.He will deceive you into believing you can get healthier next  week.   He will let you think that you can start saving in a few weeks.  The father of lies will declare, “There is no need to do it today.”   Yes, my parents were right, "the road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions". God says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, NOW is the time of God’s favor, NOW is the day of salvation.  The absolute biggest lie that Satan will whisper in your ear is that you can do things later.  Don’t listen and be deceived by Satan’s lies.  Good intentions are not good enough.  Saying that I was going to go to church; I wanted to visit my parents; I intended to start eating healthy is not enough. It won't change anything.  Change only comes when we act. There are many blessings waiting for us when we decide to act rather than put it off till later.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...