Skip to main content

Sit Close To The Fire

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”




When I was little, we had one stove in our house.  Not a furnace in the basement in some out of the way corner.  No, we had one stove in the middle of the  house that was supposed to heat the whole house.  The stove worked great from late spring  to late fall that means that from November to April the whole house was like a tundra except for one place.  If you guess that the warm spot was right on the stove, you are "spot on".  I remember many arguments with my siblings about who was going sit on near the stove.  We knew that if we got close enough to the stove, we would be warm.  Friends, in our spiritual life, the only way we can stay on fire spiritually is to stay near the fire. In the same way, that my only hope of staying warm when I was young was to hug the stove and soak up every bit of its warmth.  As a Christian, I often fail right here.  I forget that I need to spend time at the feet of Jesus If there is any hope of my staying more than lukewarm or even cold.  As we go through our day, let's intentionally carve out time for God.   Enough time during the day to totally soak up the heat from being with God.  The best thing is that there is room at Jesus's feet for all of us.  We don’t have to “jockey for position” and no one who wants to gather at his feet will be denied.  We never have to leave the presence of Jesus. The only one we’ll ever have to argue with about sitting close to the fire is the deceiver, Satan.  He will do everything to keep you from spending time with God.  Mary and Martha had Jesus at their house, yet only one of them was getting close enough to soak up the warmth of Jesus.  Satan had kept Martha from being close to the fire.  I know that in our crazy, hectic world it is hard, if not impossible, to find time for even one more thing.  For this reason, it is imperative that we hug the fire.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...