Skip to main content

I Didn’t Do It





I am still thinking about Jacob’s son, Joseph.   Once Joseph arrived in Egypt,  he was sold as a slave you would think everything turned around, and life was good, right?  Wrong!  He was a good worker.  In fact, he was so good and trustworthy that Potiphar put him in charge of his house.  Things were indeed looking up for Joseph until Mrs. Potifar noticed Joseph.  By noticed, I mean she made sexual advances because Joseph was “hot”.   Joseph had a choice.    He could give in to the advances of Potiphar’s wife. After all, Joseph was stuck in a foreign country against his will.  What would it hurt if he slept with Mrs. Potifar?  Potiphar would be getting what he deserved.  Right? The other option was to follow his conscience and God and refuse to comply with her demands, even though, the lady would be mad.  Don't think for a moment that he chose the easy road.  No, he chose to ignore her advances even though others might have complied.  Even then, what she wanted was not unheard of and who would blame him for giving in to her demands?  Because of his conscience, he was falsely accused.   Now how many of us can relate to that?  You are asked to lie about business practices and when you say “no,” you end up in trouble, not the ones who deserve to be in trouble.   Maybe you need a good recommendation and the one who can give it insists that you slip him some money.  You refuse and get accused of trying to bribe the person.  Perhaps you lost a job because you dared to question the practices of those over you.  Most of us can relate to false accusations.  We will or have all faced this giant at some point in our life and, to be honest, can hurt as much as the hatred because we know we were doing the right thing.  Here we are smelling like stinkweed rather than a rose.  Right about here is where I would be throwing in towel and having a pity party.  Joseph sitting there in prison decided to be above reproach even in prison.  In fact, even in a dirty, smelly prison Joseph's conduct was so good that The warden put him in charge of the prison.  Imagine that, a prisoner in charge of a prison.  He chose not to be bitter even in bitter circumstances.  Now that is an example that I want to follow.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...