Skip to main content

Open Doors

See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut.  Revelation 3:7 







Doors, we use them every day.  They are in our houses, and they are on any building that we hope to enter or exit.  From the time we, are six or seven, we have strength enough to open even the heaviest of doors.  This summer my sweetheart and I went to visit some lighthouses.  I was hoping to get to go inside at least one of the lighthouses.  There were three towers and yet every one of them was closed.  The doors were locked.  I could not get inside, no matter how badly I wanted to.  I could kick bang push and possibly open the door, but it would not be easy.  As I read this, God says, “I have placed before you open doors that no one can shut.”  Wow!!  Just imagine that God has opened doors, that absolutely no one can shut it.  I love it  He is telling a church or people, whichever you prefer, “I know you are feeble, and you have almost no strength.  Don’t worry about opening the doors, I will take care of opening AND shutting the doors.”  What a way to empower a church or a person than to say, “I’m going to open and close the doors.”  In my life, many times, I’ve struggled with doors because I was trying to open a door that God had not opened. I wanted my life to go one direction, but the door was closed. I could bang, push, pound and try to bust the door down but, for what purpose? I would be doing something God did not want to be done.  Friends, If God opens the door in an area, then the only issue will be whether we choose to go through an open door.  It’s one way we can be sure we ARE doing what God wants.  If doors open, that man did not open then we know God has opened that door.  When you know that God has opened a door, there is nothing that can stop you and no reason to feel defeated.  We can keep going when it’s hard because we know that we are doing what God wants.  We know that if God opened the doors, so God is responsible for the results.  That means we can rest in the knowledge that it is God who goes before us opening the doors before us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Fearlessly

                                   As I was driving home today, I passed a person walking on the side of the    road.  Since it was cold, and snowy, I thought I should stop and offer the person a ride.  As I drove on by, I was irritated with myself for not stopping.  I could have and should have but I didn't. Why?  I was scared! Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I'm willing to bet there are things that make you afraid.  It may be snakes or spiders that send the ticker into  overdrive.  Or maybe it's your job and finances that keep you up at night when you should be resting.  Then again perhaps it's relationships that consume your thoughts and energy.  As followers of God, we know that we are told not to be afraid.  Yet we often are afraid despite everything we know.   As I was driving away from a missed opportunity, I began thinking about what it is that makes us afraid.  I honestly am not sure what it is that causes us to be afraid when we should be bold, but I

Tragedy: A Christian Response

I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but

The God of Order

  Yesterday, my children and I went walking on a bike trail.    The weather was perfect.   Sunny, warm but not hot.   As we were walking, we started to talk about creation.   Creation itself always amazes me.     Can you imagine watching creation unfold at the word of the Almighty?   It would be   the most glorious and lovely thing to see.      As we were talking, I asked,  “What do you think would have happed if  God had created people first?”     They stopped  gave me a questioning look then my daughter said, “I suppose that we would have starved because there was no food.”     And we all had a laugh creating  other scenarios for what might  have happened if creation had happened in any other way.      Yet, the   fact is that creation itself demonstrates that God is a God of order.   Each day of creation built on   what had been done the day before.    It also reminds me that God wants our lives to be as orderly as possible. God planned creation before one word was spoken