Skip to main content

An Avalanche





8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things ~Philippians 4


The day started out beautifully, I had coffee and a chat with my daughter.  I even had the day off!  Sounds perfect right. It was, or at least it started out that way.  Then without warning, it hit, like a silent winter storm.  It all began with a simple, innocent thought.  What if my children do not love God?  That one thought cascaded into other thoughts and before I knew it it had started an avalanche of thoughts in my mind.  Suddenly, my happy and lighthearted mood was replaced with dark storm clouds of worry and fear.  It remained until God showed me what was concerning me was the product of my imagination.  I had no proof for any of the thoughts running free in my head.  Even IF I they were valid, there was nothing I could do about them anyway.  I had lost the battle for my bright sunny day. I had to regroup and take control of those wayward thoughts that Satan had planted there.  None of my ideas were right and pure, lovely or admirable.  I had let my good mood be covered with corrupt ideas like snow covers the ground.  Friends, are you, like me, plagued by negative thought?  Let’s take those thoughts captive.  If we do as Paul commands and think about these things, those positive and beautiful things, the storm of negative thinking will not gather.  No, it’s not easy to do, and tomorrow we may will struggle again but for today let there be sunshine in our heart.  We will leave the snow outside where it belongs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...