Skip to main content

The Gift of a Slower Pace

This time of year is so busy. We have gifts to buy and wrap -let’s not forget wrapping the presents, cookies to bake, a tree to decorate, and parties to plan and about a gazillion other things to get done along with the “normal” routine things. It’s enough to drive a person up a wall. It seems as though even if there were a million hours a day we could not get everything done.  We hurry from one thing to the next, and truly enjoy none of it.

I want to offer you a gift, the gift of a slower pace.  Especially at Christmas, it’s incredibly easy to get side-tracked.  We get in such haste to accomplish everything on a “to do” list a mile long that we lose sight of Christmas and maybe some unexpected blessings because we let ourselves get too busy to notice.  We are so busy that we can’t or won’t adjust our schedule to accommodate what might be a blessing.

Thinking back to that very first Christmas, the shepherds, the lowly shepherds, were given the privilege of seeing this miracle.  Just for a second, imagine how different it would have been if the shepherds in the fields had decided they were too busy to go to Bethlehem to see this “baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and laying in a manger.”  Instead of playing the “busy” card they left the sheep –which incidentally was their livelihood- and “went to see this thing that the angels had told them.”  They were among the first to look upon the face of God.  What a Blessing!  They would have missed a blessing if they had not allowed for interruptions to their schedule. The baby would have been born, but they would not have seen it.

This Christmas, let's throw out the "to do" list, especially if it means being too busy to stop and help someone else, spend time with the family.  Let’s allow our schedule to be interrupted in order that we might gain a blessing, even if it’s only the blessing of giving joy to others.  Let’s not lose sight of the eternal among the trappings of Christmas.  Christmas was God becoming man. It was not about a Christmas tree, or cookies, gifts or any of the things that we often get in such a hurry over at Christmas.  These other things are all good, in perspective, but the real blessing is Jesus.  This Christmas, slow your pace.  Life will continue if you don’t get that last gift, or send a billion cards, or make oodles of cookies.  One thing for sure, if we slow down we may find ourselves enjoying Christmas a little more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...