Skip to main content

Thanksmas


“Christmas needs to be farther away from Thanksgiving.”  Have you ever heard that?  Maybe, like me, in a moment of frustration, you’re guilty of uttering those words yourself.   As I was lamenting, ok whining, about this very thing recently, God took me in another direction and showed me a different perspective to this situation that, up to this point, I had not considered. 

I know that Thanksgiving gets practically swallowed up in Christmas. Often there is Christmas music and lights and people are talking Christmas before Thanksgiving arrives.  If you turn the TV on, you are inundated with Christmas commercials telling you everything you or someone you know needs or wants for Christmas eons, it seems, before Thanksgiving Day. It seems that no one pays attention to, or cares about Thanksgiving.  We even start Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving Day, in fact sometimes the food has not even digested and the family is still gathered around the table as we run out the door to hit the retail stores.

It seems that Thanksgiving gets trampled in the hurry to get to Christmas.  As I was thinking about what a travesty that Thanksgiving gets ignored God showed me that Thanksgiving placed right before Christmas is perfect.  That’s right, I said PERFECT.

It is perfectly placed because we cannot truly appreciate the Christmas season until we have an attitude of thankfulness for all that God has given us.  Thanksgiving, in a way, can usher in an outlook of gratefulness not just for what we have but for the one who gives us everything.  Thanksgiving is a time of reflection on everything God has provided.

A thankful, content heart is key.  Thankful hearts don’t need to stress about one more party, gift, dinner, or decoration.  Thankful hearts can say like Paul, “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”

True thankfulness has at its core generosity.   The more thankful we are, the more generous we become.  Christmas is a time of generosity because God lavished his love on us when he sent his son as a light into this dark world.  The baby born on Christmas Day was God, the father being extravagant to us. We cannot be truly thankful, and content until we unwrap the gift given over 2000 years ago.  Christmas is bound to be a letdown if you have never set apart Christ as Lord of your life.  If you have never accepted the gift of God, now’s the perfect time to open the first Gift of Christmas.  God’s gift of love to you.

Lets begin Christmas by being thankful for all that we have already, and for a time to celebrate God; Thankful for what we will accomplish this season and thankful that the gift of Christ transcends any other gift we could ever want or need. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Speak Christ In Your Actions

Every day the situations we are put in define what we really believe.  Sometimes how I respond to the irritations that life throws at me, sometimes daily, is critical.   I work in food service.  I love it.  It puts me in a position to see a variety of different in a day. One thing I especially love is watching their reactions and responses to little things. I have seen people upset because there was .01 more than they asked for. I have seen little children holding out their hands for popcorn chicken as their parent walks by.  I have been yelled at and made to feel less than human because an order was missed.  I have also watched a nicely dressed lady show a ton of class when soda shot all over her.  She just laughed and declared, “Guess I need a shower now.”  She could have been angry and upset but instead she chose to laugh and “let it go, let it go” as the song says. Most of the time it serves a great reminder for me to watch my attitude...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...