Skip to main content

That's not Fun

Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will give us later.


THAT’S NOT FAIR!!!!  How many times have we thought that or said it to our children or someone else?  If you’re like me you have said it or at least thought it many times.  I would also like to add to that life is NOT always fun.  I remember when I was 16 or 17 thinking, “I can’t wait to be an adult and make my own choices, do my own thing.”   What was I thinking?  Most of us as adults realize that life is not all fun and games.  You NEVER completely get to “do your own thing” and there is also more responsibility.  While you’re busy wanting to have fun, cars break down, people get sick, and surprise! It's not the fun you hoped for.  I was lamenting this fact, just the other day.  I thought, “I just wish life could be fun.”  I know, you’re all thinking, “Well, don’t count on that!”  Have no fear. I’m not counting on that.  As I was thinking I realized that, in my opinion, possibly the biggest reason why this life is not always fun is so that we would want something better.  I know that this life can have some fun times but… what if the dark time are intended to make us desire a perfect place where these things don’t happen?  Think about it!  If this life were all fun and nothing bad would we desire more?  My guess is that we would not.  God wants us to desire him and heaven not this world and all its trappings.  As Christians we have a marvelous hope and assurance that this is not all there is.  The best comes when this life is over.  Now THAT will be fun.  I’m looking forward to that time.  So I pray that when you hit those times when life is not fun, you will look to God and find comfort in the realization that this is not all there is and God has waaaaayyy better things planned for you so hang in there a little longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...