Skip to main content

Obedience




The very last thing that Jesus told his disciples in Luke was to “stay in the city until you are given power from heaven.”  At the beginning of Acts, Luke reminds us that this was Jesus instruction to the disciples.  We see that the disciples are obedient to the directions given by the Lord.  They are gathering together in the upper room.  In fact, we are told that not only are they gathered together, but they were also all meeting in the same place.  I love this little picture of obedience!  They knew that the one thing that Jesus asked of them was that they remain in Jerusalem.  Jesus said, “Don’t go anywhere until you receive power from the Holy Spirit.”  Looking back, from our perspective, it seems like an easy task, but to them this may not have been easy.  After all, they had no idea HOW long they would have to stay in Jerusalem they only knew that he said to stay put and wait.  However, how many of us like to wait even an hour at the doctor’s office?  Now imagine if you had to wait not just one hour but seven days.  Often before we can be effective for God in any other area, we must be obedient in the small things like waiting.  The other thing to know is that while they were waiting, they were not just sitting around.  No, they were praying (communicating with God), meditating and studying the scriptures (that would be the Old Testament). Most of us reading this, desire to do great things for God.  God says, “If you want to do great things for me, first, be obedient in the one or two things that I’ve asked you to do, THEN I can trust you with great things.  I want you to think of the great things you want to do; then think of the areas where God has already given you instruction.  Focus on obedience in those areas, for obedience in the little things is the first step in being greatly used by God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...