Skip to main content

What's Your Dirty Counter-top?




About two weeks ago I recreated our counter-top (I gave it a face lift) in a faux granite look.  I love it.  Over the weekend, I was given five baskets of tomatoes.  What a blessing!! So I made spaghetti sauce.  Do you know it’s very hard to make spaghetti sauce without making a mess? It is, trust me on this.  This morning as I was making coffee I decided to wipe off the counter-top.  It didn't look too dirty, so it wouldn't take too long, right?  Wrong!!! As I started cleaning, I noticed that the counter-top was filthy even though it didn't look dirty at all.  I was congratulating myself on choosing colors that would hide the dirt well, then suddenly I stopped and laughed at myself.  Did I really want the dirt to be hidden?  Of course not!! I want The counter-top to BE clean mot just appear to be clean.  I thought of when Jesus called the Pharisees whitewashed tombs.   What he was saying is that, although they looked clean, they were grubby and full of rotting, disgusting stuff.  Then I thought about how many of us do the same thing in our life.  We can say and do the right things and appear clean until a car cuts us off, someone at work irritates us, or things don’t go the way we want and we instinctively act in another manner.  In fact, even IF we, by some stroke of luck, hide the dirt and no one realizes we are dirty, There is still one who knows about the dirt... God.  Imagine that you came to my house and you saw the counter-top; you might think it was clean, but I would know the truth. I would know it was grimy even if you never knew.  Fact!! Everybody has a dirty counter-top; sometimes I have more than one. Often, in our Christian life, we would prefer to cover up the sin rather than confess it.  We think that somehow it will go away or  if we can't see it, it doesn't exist. What we really need is to admit the sin, dirt, and then clean it. Errrr… have God clean it.  God isn't interested in hiding the dirt, of our lives. He wants to change us and make us sparkling.  Hiding the sin in our lives won't make it go away, the absolute, only way to make the sin go away is to confess it. In the same way, it is better to clean the counter-top and remove the dirt rather than hide it. because the dirt won't go away by itself.  What's your dirty counter-top?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...