Skip to main content

Taken For Granted

As I was debating over what to share today, I had many thoughts and they were all good. However, the events of last week were still fresh in my mind and I suppose in some ways my emotions are still raw.  At the end of last week, my husband and sweetheart was laid off from an organization that he had been with for twenty-five years; that's a loooong time!  While I was not the one who got the "pink slip", the feeling of loss was just as great because my spouse is a part of me and something cannot happen to him without it hurting me as well.  I came "face to face" with the realization of how much I had taken his job for granted.  I had not appreciated it nearly as much as I should have.  I guess I just assumed it would be always there. It was a small job and felt like more of an annoyance than anything else.  Crazy right?  I complained and got irritated with his work bbut as soon as it was no longeer there, I was angry about it.  Yet as crazy as it is, I am willing to bet that I am not the only one who has ever been in this position.  We, as people, have a tendency to not realize the value or worth of something till it's gone. whether it's a person or a thing or even a job.  My friends, God wants us to appreciate everything and see those things as coming from his hand.  If we see everything as coming from the hand of God, perhaps we will appreciate what we have.  It way better to live with gratitude even for the seemingly insignificant things whether it's people, things, or, in this case, a job.  For one day, we may wake up to the fact that we no longer have the small things that we take for granted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...