Skip to main content

I need to make myself better







Every once in a while, as I’m talking with a friend they will something like this, “I’ trying to make myself better”, or “I need to make myself better.”  When I hear this my heart breaks and I want to say, “STOP” (insert the zipper sound here) do you hear what you’re saying?

  I want to remind them that, not one of us can “make ourselves better”.   It’s not possible, if it were possible, would we have needed a savior?  Ummmm no, (just in case you were not sure of the answer I was going for).  But we do need a savior because it’s impossible to make ourselves better.  Only one person can do that, you guessed it, God.

I want to remind them that, we are all human and even as a Christian we are not free from sin. By that I mean we are not perfect.  We may fall into a mud pit, we just don’t have to stay there.   Praise God for that!!!  We can ask God to lift us out of the pit and set us on solid ground.  The awesome thing is that he loves us soooo much that he wants to do that for us anyway.  We just need to ask him.

I would also remind them that, if we’ve asked God to wash us and make us clean, the only person we have to be better than is the person we were yesterday.  We have a God who does not show partiality. He does not care if you are the president or a homeless beggar; a multimillionaire or a pauper.  The ground is level for everyone.  He sees everyone of as a sinner for whom he died.  We cannot do one thing to make our self-appear better before Christ.  If God does not compare us to anyone else we don’t need to compare ourselves to anyone else either. There is not a person on the planet that has not struggled with feeling inadequate at one time or another. I know I do, sometimes daily. I believe it is one way Satan keeps us defeated and paralyzed.  He simply says, “You need to be better.”

So relax, if you feel the need to better yourself, go to God let HIM better you.  It’s much easier than trying to do it yourself.  You should know that God loves you just the way you are warts and all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...