Skip to main content

I'm Just A...







Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,

I was watching a TV show called “Undercover Boss” the other day.  The episode I watched was about sanitation workers.  As I was watching, one person stood out.  His job was to clean port-a-potties.  As they were working, he kept saying I’m not just a sanitation worker, I am the best sanitation worker.  I couldn’t help but smile as I watched him.  His attitude was contagious.  I thought, "man! that guy is having too much fun cleaning poop".  At the place I work, we had a door greeter who had this same perspective. He always had carts ready for people; if it was raining or snowing, he had the carts dry; He always had a cheery hello kiddo for everyone he met.  What set both of these people apart from most other people is that though their jobs were not enviable, and they could have looked at their jobs as unimportant and even undesirable.  Yet they both did their work with a positive attitude and with excellence.  Friends, God wants to have this attitude with the things we do.  He wants us to be the best at whatever work we are doing.  He wants us to do our Job the best that we can. I don’t think it pleases God when we say I’m just a …. You can fill in the blank.  God shows no partiality.  No matter what work God has placed you in, do it as if God is the one for whom you are working. In reality, he is our boss.  So if you are a door greeter, be the best one.  In addition, if you’re a CEO, be the best CEO that you can be knowing that we all great or small will answer to God.  Let’s not look down on a position as unimportant.  You’re not just a…. you are the best…  How we do our Job is our choice, and the attitude we have about our job is our choice.  Be faithful no matter what Job God has given you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...