Skip to main content

Hopelessly Lost




Today as we were on our way to the movies, I took a side road to bypass some road construction.   I thought that since I knew the road it would be a time saver.  As I turned onto the road that would bring me back on to the road that I had been on, I spotted a huge sign standing boldly, proudly in the middle of the road that said, “Road closed, Bridge out.”  Wonderful!  Now what?  I could turn around, go back, and go through the roadwork or I could stay on the road I was on and try to find another connecting road.   I thought that I could probably find another road since I am usually good in this area.  At this point, if I had been smart, I would have turned on my GPS, just in case I needed it.  I wasn’t smart.  We went on. It wasn’t long before we came to a road that seemed to go in the direction I was hoping for so we turned on the road.  The farther we went, the more concerned I became nothing looked familiar.  Duh, I had never been on the road, what did I think was going to happen?  I kept on driving in hope that surely I would come to something recognizable.  A short time later, the road ended and I had to turn right or left.  I do have some common sense so I pulled into the parking lot for a store that was out of business.  I turned on the GPS and my phone navigation ( I know, they have them right on the phones now, who knew).  I told it where we wanted to go, and within seconds, It showed me where I was and where I needed to go to get back on track.  As I looked at the navigator on my phone, I was amazed at how far off track I had gotten.  I was miles away from where I wanted to be.  I wonder in our spiritual life how often we head in one direction thinking we are ok because we know where we are going only to find out when we consult a map, the navigator that we are way off course.  It’s easy in the physical realm to realize when we may be off course, but it’s harder in the spiritual realm.  Maybe that why it’s critical to be in communion with our heavenly father so he can tell us when we are straying from the truth.  If I had not stopped to check the maps I might have ended up hopelessly lost because I wanted to turn in the other direction.  Similarly, in our spiritual if we depend only on our own understanding, we may end up hopelessly lost and way off course.  Praise God!  We can never get so hopelessly lost that we cannot get back on the right road.  The other comforting thing is that we have access to the map anytime we want.  All we really need to do is call on him and he has promised to answer us.  He will show us how to get back on the way of truth and follow him.  If you feel lost, helpless and alone, don't despair, call on your navigator and let him show you how to get back where you need to be.  He is as close as a whispered prayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Fearlessly

                                   As I was driving home today, I passed a person walking on the side of the    road.  Since it was cold, and snowy, I thought I should stop and offer the person a ride.  As I drove on by, I was irritated with myself for not stopping.  I could have and should have but I didn't. Why?  I was scared! Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I'm willing to bet there are things that make you afraid.  It may be snakes or spiders that send the ticker into  overdrive.  Or maybe it's your job and finances that keep you up at night when you should be resting.  Then again perhaps it's relationships that consume your thoughts and energy.  As followers of God, we know that we are told not to be afraid.  Yet we often are afraid despite everything we know.   As I was driving away from a missed opportunity, I began thinking about what it is that makes us afraid.  I honestly am not sure what it is that causes us to be afraid when we should be bold, but I

Tragedy: A Christian Response

I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but

The God of Order

  Yesterday, my children and I went walking on a bike trail.    The weather was perfect.   Sunny, warm but not hot.   As we were walking, we started to talk about creation.   Creation itself always amazes me.     Can you imagine watching creation unfold at the word of the Almighty?   It would be   the most glorious and lovely thing to see.      As we were talking, I asked,  “What do you think would have happed if  God had created people first?”     They stopped  gave me a questioning look then my daughter said, “I suppose that we would have starved because there was no food.”     And we all had a laugh creating  other scenarios for what might  have happened if creation had happened in any other way.      Yet, the   fact is that creation itself demonstrates that God is a God of order.   Each day of creation built on   what had been done the day before.    It also reminds me that God wants our lives to be as orderly as possible. God planned creation before one word was spoken