Skip to main content

Expect the Impossible







I love that as I read the account of the Triumphal entry into Jerusalem, two different accounts tell about Jesus cursing a fig tree so that it withers. I have often wondered what the significance of this event was. Why did Jesus even take the time to curse the fig tree? Since I believe that nothing is in the scriptures by accident, and Jesus was intentional. Jesus had a reason for everything he did. Then, what did Jesus want his disciples to learn?  Well, I believe that Jesus, knowing that he was going to leave them, wanted them to know how powerful just a little faith could be. Maybe he wanted them to see firsthand what faith could do.  He knew that they would need to rely on faith once he was gone and he wanted to give them a picture of what faith could do.  He knew that they would face many obstacles and he wanted them to be strong and set their sights high on the impossible.  Maybe, looking down though the ages he knew that we would need a picture of what we are capable of if we have just a little faith.  It’s easy for me to get into the habit of thinking only of what is humanly possible. Sometimes, I need the reminder to see the impossible as possible with God.  Jesus looking at the cross ahead of him was saying to his disciples and to us don’t doubt; have faith; dream big even if it looks impossible.  He wants us to have the faith to believe that if he gives us something to do that looks huge, we only have to trust him and let the fig tree wither or the mountain move.  You and I need to know that if with Jesus we can alter the physical realm that we can see, thten we can also alter the spiritual realm that we can’t see



This is Only a Mountain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...