Skip to main content

Financial Advice












As I'm wrapping up my thoughts about finances, I thought I would leave you with some tips I have learned about saving, spending and finding a balance between the two.  Most of it I learned the hard way.


  1. Be content.  This one thing will enable yo to strike a balance between saving and spending.   If we are content, we will have no desire to spend what we do not have, and we will avoid the trap of keeping up the Jones'.  Being content means that I can look at others and what they have and be happy for them, without feeling the need to run out and get it for myself.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 
  2. Don't worry. This seems to go right along and possibly hand in hand with being content; like salt and pepper.  If we are content with what we have, then we will not be anxious and upset about our finances. By not worrying  we are, in fact, telling God that we trust him. We are acting in the faith that God loves us and knows what we need. Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life
  3. Know the boundaries. A good principal to follow is, don't take on debt you can't afford.   If you must borrow money or use a credit card, be sure you can afford it.  This means that you must be aware of what you spend and what you make.  There is no way to know if you can afford something if you have no idea of whether you actually have enough money to afford it.  A good farmer knows that the best way to keep track of the cows is to put up a fence.  If you want to keep track of the cows, build a fence.  If you want financial freedom, set some limits.  You need to know how much you make and how much you can spend. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?  
  4. Remember that it is just money.  Money and finances can change in a moment.  No matter how careful you are, or how much you save, the economy is fickle and what you have today may be gone tomorrow. It's how Paul can say "If I have money, it's okay and If I don't have money that's okay too."  (Sharon translation) and how Paul can tell Timothy to keep his life free from the love of money.  Knowing this one thing can help us keep a balance between saving and spending.  
  5. Do your homework.  Know what you are looking for, especially when it comes to more expensive items.  Often we fall into the trap of not knowing what we are really looking for or what we need.  I may know that I want a cellphone but If I do not know what I want in a cell phone, I am likely to end up with something that I do not want.
  6. Know if it's a need or a want.  Believe it or not, there is a difference between a need and a want.  In our culture, we are not always taught to make that difference.  In fact,  we are often taught if we want it we should have it.  Not only should we have it, but we should have it NOW.    When we start to think in terms of needs versus wants, then we can say no to some things because it's a want and not a need. I may need a car, but I may not need or be able to afford the most expensive one on the lot.  When I make a distinction between wants and needs, I can think clearly, and I won't end up paying for more car than I need.
I'm sure I could write more but I like to keep these short, so I am going to stop with these six words of wisdom.  Most of what I've learned about finances I have learned the hard way.  I don't always have it down perfectly myself but I am getting better and it is gratifying to know that we can pay for unexpected expenses without it killing us financially.    If you find you need more help and really are serious about getting control of this area then I would suggest

Crown Financial Ministries or Dave Ramsey  these are two good organizations to help you get on track.

For more on this topic:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Fearlessly

                                   As I was driving home today, I passed a person walking on the side of the    road.  Since it was cold, and snowy, I thought I should stop and offer the person a ride.  As I drove on by, I was irritated with myself for not stopping.  I could have and should have but I didn't. Why?  I was scared! Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I'm willing to bet there are things that make you afraid.  It may be snakes or spiders that send the ticker into  overdrive.  Or maybe it's your job and finances that keep you up at night when you should be resting.  Then again perhaps it's relationships that consume your thoughts and energy.  As followers of God, we know that we are told not to be afraid.  Yet we often are afraid despite everything we know.   As I was driving away from a missed opportunity, I began thinking about what it is that makes us afraid.  I honestly am not sure what it is that causes us to be afraid when we should be bold, but I

Tragedy: A Christian Response

I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but

The God of Order

  Yesterday, my children and I went walking on a bike trail.    The weather was perfect.   Sunny, warm but not hot.   As we were walking, we started to talk about creation.   Creation itself always amazes me.     Can you imagine watching creation unfold at the word of the Almighty?   It would be   the most glorious and lovely thing to see.      As we were talking, I asked,  “What do you think would have happed if  God had created people first?”     They stopped  gave me a questioning look then my daughter said, “I suppose that we would have starved because there was no food.”     And we all had a laugh creating  other scenarios for what might  have happened if creation had happened in any other way.      Yet, the   fact is that creation itself demonstrates that God is a God of order.   Each day of creation built on   what had been done the day before.    It also reminds me that God wants our lives to be as orderly as possible. God planned creation before one word was spoken