Skip to main content

God Spoke Mercy






because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

A few weeks ago I walked into a local fast food place hoping for a quick meal.  As I entered, there were few customers, so I was in luck, or so I thought. The people behind the counter looked up saw me waiting; even acknowledged me and went on with their work.  After waiting eons longer for someone to wait on me, God reminded me of a verse in James “Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry”. I decided to change my lunch plans.  As I left, I was quite annoyed and hurt.  After all, they should have waited on me.  Is that any way to run a business?  I was still a little “put out” about the situation when I got back home.  I decided that I should let the manager know what happened.  It was only reasonable to expect prompt service and the employees completely ignored me.  Who would blame me?  In fact, most people would have hollered right there in the restaurant.  At least I didn't do that.  Later as I was working on a puzzle, God said “are you through ranting?  I was.  Then he said, “I know you could complain and go to their supervisors, but what if you show mercy instead”.  Ouch!    What if you let the offence go and do nothing?  I was humbled right then.  Why not give them mercy even though they certainly didn't deserve it.  When it comes right down to it, I don’t deserve God’s mercy either, yet he gives it.  Showing mercy is part of how we show others we love them. Whether I’m at home, or at work, church or any other place it is easier to cover an offence and forgive than to hold on to the anger over something that God may say doesn't matter.  I am glad that God reminded me not to get angry first, and then I’m praising God that he corrected my attitude.  I can walk with a lighter step because I am not carrying around regret over an action, or anger and unforgivness.  In fact God says that “mercy triumphs over judgment”.  God prefers that we be as merciful to others as he is to us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...