Skip to main content

Week 3: Promise

 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:  Matthew 1:21

Last Saturday I had the joy of watching our youngest daughter make a promise to her fiancé and become his wife.  We all make promises and sometimes we keep those promises and sometimes circumstances prevent us from keeping promises even though everything in us wants to keep them.  At other times, we are selfish and do not want to keep our promises.  We are human, and we fail sometimes; we can’t help it.  As I was watching my daughter and son- in –law say their vows I was reminded that people will let us down sometimes.  At some point, one of them may disappoint the other by making a promise they can’t keep. Over the years, I have made made some promises to my own husband that I could not keep.  As long as we are human, there will be broken promises. But God… God will never break his promises.  He will not ever let us down.  At the dawn of creation and all through Jewish History God kept reminding his people that he would send his son to fix what was broken.  God kept that promise when he sent Jesus.  It is because Jesus kept his promise, we can have genuine peace and hope; any promise we make can never give us true hope and peace.  At Christmas, it is good to remember that we can always trust God to keep his promises because he kept his promises past, present, and future; that can give us hope and peace at Christmas and all year. 

                                          Joy To The World"
Joy to the world
The lord is come
Let earth receive her king
Let every heart prepare Him room
And heaven and nature sing
And heaven and nature sing
And heaven and heaven and nature sing

Joy to the world
The savior reigns
Let men their songs employ
While fields and floods
Rocks, hills and plains
Repeat the sounding joy
Repeat the sounding joy
Repeat, repeat the sounding joy

He rules the world with truth and grace
And makes the nations prove
The glories of his righteousness
The wonders of his love
And wonders of his love
And wonders, and wonders
And wonders of his love
And wonders of his love
And wonders of his love
And wonders, and wonders
Of his love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...