Skip to main content

Divine Appointments

I have heard many people on various occasions say, “I don’t need to go to church to be a Christian”.  The last time I heard it; a friend that I care very much about, was saying it.  I have to tell you that whenever I hear this I cringe, and I die a little inside. Today, I want to tell you why, in my opinion, this statement is not only completely false; but it may be spiritually lethal.

I could tell you that that Bible says in Hebrews 10:25 “not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”   However, I think it would be better to explain why I see Christians gathering together as not just a good idea; it’s critical to the body of Christ and our own spiritual well-being.

First, going to church is vital if the body of Christ is to function correctly.  The Bible in Romans 12 and 1 Corinthians 12 suggests that we are the body of Christ, emphasis on body.  The problem is that while we are the body of Christ, each of us on our own is not the whole body.  I may be a hand, and you may be a foot or an eye.  The foot, by itself, is useless.  Likewise, the hand or the eye, or any other part of the body for that matter, is no good if it’s not attached to the rest of the body.  When we meet together, it, somehow, joins us to the rest of the body so that we are enabled do the work of Christ. Meeting with other Christians provides us with encouragement and strengthens us when we feel weak.

Secondly, but just as necessary, our desire to go to church is a direct indication of our spiritual condition.   I go to church because I love God, and I want to show him that I love him. It is like reading the Bible, praying, and or having quiet time with God; it is an outward demonstration of my love for God.  Think of it this way, if you were dating but your girlfriend/boyfriend never wanted to spend time with you; would you say they loved you?  No, of course not!  If they love you, truly love you they will have a desire to spend time with you.  The same is true of our relationship with God. The less time you spend with him; the farther you are from him. Likewise, the closer we are to God, the more we will want to be in his house and with his people.



I am in no way saying that if you are not in church every Sunday you are headed for hell.  I am saying that if you never go to church; you may need to determine if you truly love God. Let’s not neglect being in God’s house with God’s people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Fearlessly

                                   As I was driving home today, I passed a person walking on the side of the    road.  Since it was cold, and snowy, I thought I should stop and offer the person a ride.  As I drove on by, I was irritated with myself for not stopping.  I could have and should have but I didn't. Why?  I was scared! Maybe that wouldn't bother you, but I'm willing to bet there are things that make you afraid.  It may be snakes or spiders that send the ticker into  overdrive.  Or maybe it's your job and finances that keep you up at night when you should be resting.  Then again perhaps it's relationships that consume your thoughts and energy.  As followers of God, we know that we are told not to be afraid.  Yet we often are afraid despite everything we know.   As I was driving away from a missed opportunity, I began thinking about what it is that makes us afraid.  I honestly am not sure what it is that causes us to be afraid when we should be bold, but I

Tragedy: A Christian Response

I want to start by telling you a story.  We were new parents.  When Our oldest, a son, was about eighteen to twenty months we had another baby, a girl with brown hair and huge eyes.   One day as I went to feed her, my son who may have been two at the time wandered off to another part of the house.  The next thing I heard was a thud.  I grabbed my baby girl and ran to see what happened.  There was my son with a table on top of him.  He had pulled it over on himself and more blood than I had ever seen was running all over.   We put him in the car and dashed for the ER.  It was not a fun trip. He had a skull fracture and many stitches.  Fast forward about fourteen or fifteen years, I’m at a stop light and watch my youngest daughter about ten start across a street on a bike start across a street just as a truck comes around a corner into the path of the bike.  She hit the side of the truck and bounced onto the road.   I grabbed her up and checked her over there were no injuries, but

The God of Order

  Yesterday, my children and I went walking on a bike trail.    The weather was perfect.   Sunny, warm but not hot.   As we were walking, we started to talk about creation.   Creation itself always amazes me.     Can you imagine watching creation unfold at the word of the Almighty?   It would be   the most glorious and lovely thing to see.      As we were talking, I asked,  “What do you think would have happed if  God had created people first?”     They stopped  gave me a questioning look then my daughter said, “I suppose that we would have starved because there was no food.”     And we all had a laugh creating  other scenarios for what might  have happened if creation had happened in any other way.      Yet, the   fact is that creation itself demonstrates that God is a God of order.   Each day of creation built on   what had been done the day before.    It also reminds me that God wants our lives to be as orderly as possible. God planned creation before one word was spoken