Skip to main content

What Do You Have?

Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well. Ecclesiastes 11:6 

 

 I know a young man going to college in Colorado who juggles and does balloon art (Get Creative Entertainment LLC on Facebook), and a pastor’s wife in New York who sews all kinds of things and writes books.(http://www.terrigroh.com/) These people inspire me because of the way they are making use of the talents God has given them.  They and others like them are making use of the talents that God has given them.  Often what I see is quite a different story.  I see people who never make use of the talents, abilities, and resources God has given them. They keep them hidden, locked in a safe rather than put them to work so they can present the increase to God.  Instead of looking at what God has given and asking “how can I put this to work for me?” they say “I can’t do anything with this”.   In my opinion, God expects us to use every bit of the abilities, talents and resources that he has given us.  It’s not our job to understand what God will do with it.  It is only our obligation to be faithful to use what he’s given.  What if Paul had stopped writing letters because he was in prison?  Often I fall into this same trap of thinking that I have nothing God can use because I can’t see how He can possibly use my abilities; rather than looking around me and seeing opportunities.  Let’s be faithful with all that God has given us.  We certainly have no idea which plans will succeed or what lies ahead; only God knows these things. So, look around.  Go ahead!  I’ll wait.  What has God given you?  What are you going to do with it?

Comments

  1. Thank you for the link, Sharon, and this is great encouragement today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...