Skip to main content

God and the GPS

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105

The other day I had the privilege of driving to the airport to pick up my daughter.  After picking her up, we decided to stop and get something to eat.  So on the way home we spotted the golden arches standing boldly, proudly above the trees a short distance off the interstate.  We took the exit and headed in the direction of McDonald's.  This would have worked if the road led straight to McDonald's, but it didn't.  We set the GPS, and I turned in what appeared to be the direction of our goal. Nope, instead of McDonald's we ended up circling a bank.  Now, the two in the back seat are spitting out directions as well as the G
PS. At this point, my brain stopped listening because there were too many voices.  I made another turn.  This time I ended up circling a costume store.  Finally, in desperation, I gave up thinking I was smarter than the satellite; I realized that the two in the back and the GPS were saying the same thing. So, I did the only sane thing I decided to listen to the GPS.  In what seemed like seconds we arrived at our destination.   It reminded me of how often as Christians we have choices and decisions to make; somehow, we think we know how to reach our goal on our own.  So we start heading on what appears to be the right path only to discover that we are going in circles and getting no closer to the target.  We are often too stubborn to admit that we don’t know the right way to go; so we keep making turns; hoping that somehow we’ll end up at the right place.  Friends all we really need to do is what I did in the car.  I decided to start listening to and following the instructions of the GPS and the passengers; since they were saying the same thing.  When we do that; it will be a real stress reliever.  We will be free to enjoy life because making decisions is so much easier when we are getting our instructions from the one who knows the way and can lead us along the right paths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Perfect for Me

Tomorrow my sweetie and I will be celebrating twenty- nine years of marriage.  What an amazing journey!  I have to confess that when we were first married I had some preconceived ideas of what love and marriage would be like.   I thought love was having my spouse with me all the time, holding hands doing everything together, never having a disagreement.   I thought my darling sweetheart would never let me down or hurt me and everything would be perfect for the rest of our life.   Wow!  Can you believe how incredibly naïve I was?  After twenty-nine years what I realized is that no one could live up to the ideals that I had set because we live in an imperfect world and we are imperfect people.  I know, you’re thinking, “It took you twenty-nine years to realize this?” Nah I realized it after the first year.   I still smile how over the years God has changed my definition of love.  Don’t get me wrong there is n...