Skip to main content

Leftovers


        I have a son who hates leftovers.  He will gorge himself so that he does not have to eat leftovers.   I realize that he is not the only one who feels this way, and if I asked if any of you felt the same way, many of you would say you feel the same way.  It is indeed why there are some science experiments in the refrigerator.  We put them in the refrigerator figuring to eat them, but we didn’t honestly want them, so they stay there till we clean the refrigerator.
        Yet, at the same time I wonder how often in our Christian life, we are guilty of offering our Lord, the creator of the universe, left overs.  We come to him with what we have after we have done the things you and I desire.  We give five minutes before bedtime because it way easier than getting up earlier or setting another time aside for God.  Instead of giving to God first, we offer him what money we have left after we have spent the rest on what's important to us.  We give God the parts of our lives that are convenient. We really don’t want our relationship with God to cost anything or at least not much.  We want to offer God something that costs us nothing.  Yes, at times, I am guilty of this too.
        Suppose for a moment that the president or someone that you consider important was coming to have dinner with us at our house.  Would any of us even dare to go to the icebox and pull out leftovers?  No, of course not! If we would not give them leftovers, why should we think it would be alright to do that to the God of the universe. Again, suppose for a moment that God had said “I don’t want the inconvenience of dying on a cross”.  We would still be in our sin, but Praise God!  He gave all he had for us. Is it certainly too big of a thing to offer God the best of what we have.  Better yet offer it all to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...